Construction of the second unit of the biology laboratory building, to make available additional research facilities for using radiation and radio‐isotopes in studying life processes, has begun at Brookhaven National Laboratory, according to the Atomic Energy Commission. The new laboratory building, scheduled for completion in September 1952, will supplement a structure completed in 1949 which, although designed primarily for plant experiments, now houses work with animals as well. Other experimentation, now being carried out temporarily in two barracks‐type structures, will be transferred and consolidated with the rest of the program when the building is finished. The new building will contain about 25,000 square feet of floor space and will cost approximately one million dollars. Both of the permanent buildings were planned in 1947–48 as halves of an integrated two‐story unit, with walls of concrete block, to house the work of the entire Brookhaven biology department. When completed, the full unit will consist of a plant wing and an animal wing, with facilities common to both located near the interconnection of corridors. The building will house seven standard laboratories; one each for animal physiology, biochemistry, and biophysics, and others for special operations. The facilities will also include three darkrooms for photographic work and several smaller laboratories and workrooms.

This content is only available via PDF.
You do not currently have access to this content.