The names of two former chairmen of the Physics Department at the University of California at Los Angeles have been given to two buildings housing physics research on the UCLA campus. The recently constructed Knudsen Hall is named after Vern O. Knudsen, UCLA's chancellor emeritus, who has been associated with the physics faculty for more than four decades. The second structure, once the physics‐biology building, has been renamed Kinsey Hall in memory of the late E. Lee Kinsey, who died in May 1961. Professor Kinsey, a spectroscopist, joined the Physics Department in 1928 and served as its chairman from 1949 until his retirement ten years later. Professor Knudsen, who is known for his pioneering work in acoustics, particularly in the fields of physiological and architectural acoustics, headed UCLA's Physics Department from 1932 to 1938 and served as dean of the Graduate Division from 1934 to 1958. He was named chancellor of UCLA in 1959 and retired in 1960.

This content is only available via PDF.
You do not currently have access to this content.