The simple section headings that are used in the Review of Scientific Instrument Table of Contents (TOC) may not provide sufficient information to assist authors in selecting the most appropriate heading for their manuscript. The table below gives additional ‘keywords’ and descriptive phrases that may help in choosing a TOC section. The goal for RSI is to group articles that will be of interest to specific area of research into the same TOC section to make it easier for readers to find papers that relate to their interests and areas of work. In addition, RSI makes automatic assignments of incoming manuscripts to Associate Editors with experience and expertise in those areas. Thus, by choosing the most appropriate section for your article, you are also choosing an Editor who best understands your work.
- Equipment and Techniques for Lasers, Lasers, Pump-Probe and Resonance Ionization Lasers;
- Subject coverage includes improvements in laser timing, bunch size, repetition, total energy or energy/pulse. Research studies focused on the development of laser techniques for specific applications may also be appropriate in other journal sections.
- Equipment and Techniques for photon manipulation and detection, All Photon Energies.
- This section contains research spanning the gamut of photon energy: X-Ray and gamma ray sources, optics, and detectors including synchrotron-based x-Ray production and optics.
- Atom/Molecule Traps, Equipment and Techniques for traps; Zeeman slowers, magnets for traps, Manipulation and Detection
- Research on instrumentation and techniques for trapping, manipulating, and/or detecting atoms, molecules, and ions, including ion traps. Zeeman slowers, and other cooling techniques are appropriate for this section.
- Equipment and Techniques for Ion Optics and Acceleration; Particle Sources and Detectors; Magnets for ion beam control; Atomic & Nuclear Physics Instrumentation
- This section includes laser-driven acceleration research and its associated devices and techniques, storage rings, accelerator-based ion cooling, accelerator radiation protection and detection, neutron detection and use, magnets, mass spectrometry, and accelerator mass spectrometry. Cavities – normal and superconducting -should be reported here.
- Equipment and Techniques for Fusion and Inertial and Magnetic Plasmas, Low temperature and Space Plasmas, Plasma Diagnostics
- Subject coverage includes instrumentation and techniques for inertially or magnetically confined plasmas, laser developments for fusion application, and plasma source and diagnostics research.
- Equipment and Techniques for Microscopy; Imaging Methods; Positioning Systems, Nanoparticles
- This section includes all types of microscopy, including but not limited to: scanning probe microscopy, electron microscopy and spectroscopy, focused ion beam, field-emission ion microscopy, Helium microscopy, and atomic force microscopy. Research on novel imaging methods and positioning systems for imaging and microscopy are also appropriate for this section. It is also the section for manuscripts on instruments or techniques for nanoparticles.
- Equipment and Techniques for Condensed Matter & Materials; Diamond Anvil Cells, and other High-Pressure Equipment, Thin films
- This section covers all forms of solid-state material manipulation, including pullers, and instruments for condensed matter research, such as, instruments for thin film growth and characterization. High pressure (e.g. diamond anvil cells) and angle-resolved photoelectron spectroscopy are appropriate for this section.
- Equipment and Techniques for Chemistry; Biology; Medicine
- This section contains research relating to chemistry (especially physical chemistry) equipment and techniques, as well as biology and medicine, including but not limited to: biophotonics, biomedical photoacoustics and ultrasonics, thermoacoustics, diagnostic imaging, and medical tomography.
- Gravity and gravitational waves detection and instrumentation; Geophysics and balloon/space instrumentation; Astronomy and Astrophysics; Satellite Equipment and Propulsion Systems, Remote Sensing
- Subject coverage includes gravity- and gravitational-wave detectors, geophysics and geodesy, astronomy and astrophysics equipment, satellite equipment and techniques (including propulsion tests and measurement systems), and ground-based remote sensing research.
- Electronics; Electromagnetic Technology; Microwaves; Power Supplies, Electrical Measurements, and Data Acquisition Devices
- Subject coverage also includes general equipment developments relating to computers, electrical switches, programming, and interface between data capture devices and measurement equipment.
- Equipment and Techniques for Thermometry; Thermal Diffusivity; Acoustics; Photothermal and Photoacoustic
- Subject coverage also includes optical thermometry and pyrometers. Radiation and conduction heat transfer instrumentation and measurement. Photoacoustics, photothermics, and photonics.
- Sensors; Actuators; Positioning Devices; MEMS/NEMS; Energy Harvesting
- Subject coverage also includes fiber optic sensors, flexural hinges, and piezoelectric and energy harvesting devices.
- General Instruments, General Experimental Techniques or Analyses
- This section covers subjects with broad appeal across all areas of research and instruments and techniques that are less appropriate for other sections. Subject coverage includes macroscopic object accelerators (rail guns), metrology, and surveying.