Since 1976, the Statistical Research Center (then known as the Manpower Statistics Division) of the American Institute of Physics has collected data from recent physics degree recipients at all levels to learn what they are doing one year after graduation. Over the next few months, we will be looking at the initial outcomes of physics bachelor’s degree recipients in the classes of 2015 & 2016 (combined). We survey the students one year after they have graduated. About half of the members of the classes of 2015 & 2016 went on to graduate study. Typically about 60% of the bachelor’s degree recipients pursuing graduate degrees study physics and astronomy; the remaining 40% enter graduate programs in other disciplines. The rest of this series will focus on the half who entered the workforce.

Next month we will look at the sectors of employment for the 47% of the class who were working....

AAPT members receive access to The Physics Teacher and the American Journal of Physics as a member benefit. To learn more about this member benefit and becoming an AAPT member, visit the Joining AAPT page.